Week 11: PLAY -- Create an image mashup

I present to you...

THE KEVIN EFFECT


I decided to use a photo of people watching a Royal Geographical Society lecture from the Brisbane City Hall in 1946, then overlay it with Kevin Rudd's Creative Commons image from Wikipedia with 50% opacity.

I see this work as a metaphor for the ALP campaign during the 2013 election. They relied on nothing but Kevin Rudd's awesomeness to see them through. Sadly, he was revealed to be a ghost of what he once was, and us, the Australian people, were forced to endure an endless circus put on by Kevin Rudd and Tony Abbott for an incredibly condensed campaign trail.

Also, the idea of the 'elephant in the room' being Kevin Rudd is reflected in this image, as he was lurking in the background of every political discussion during Gillard's time as Prime Minister.

I wish I could've used that brilliant photo of Kevin Rudd laughing, but sadly, News Corp owns it.
So I'll link this instead:



9 comments:

  1. Very clever Ben. I like the use of a metaphor to create something meaningful. I have discovered the best Mashups need this creative thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My art isn't usually all that good in a literal, aesthetic sense...so I go for the metaphorical! :P

      Delete
  2. never seen a wistful Kevin before! Interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see Kevin as an enigma wrapped in a sauce bottle that's yet to have a fair shake.

      Delete
  3. Belated comment but great mash up. Liam Wyatt from the NLA asked for access to official portraits and the Fed Gov declined for fear of satire! Not the open use you would expect. The US Gov allows use of its material much more freely, when they are open for business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grabbed mine off of Wikipedia, where they print if an image can be freely used or not.

      Delete
  4. Hi Ben. That's an awesome mash up. Very interesting reasoning for you doing it, too. I think that the image is very skillful: much like a screenshot from a movie. I love that it's in black and white too. I feel that that gives it the melancholy tone intended as well as the implication that this is something that happened in the past (which it did). Great job!

    ReplyDelete