Week 2: REFLECT -- My Online Identity

My online identity today exists in the places I referred to in the previous post (Twitter, Facebook, to a lesser degree blogs and Google+) and by far the most active is Twitter. I have had the title of 'Twitter King' bestowed upon me by my peers, and I find this both endearing and a sign that perhaps I use the platform a little too much. Near the end of school and for the first half of my undergrad, I stuck to Facebook for nearly everything. Now it's become a news feed where I post one or two statements above articles from the web that interest me. Occasionally debates will start up, but it's nothing compared to the deluge of tweets I send.

I reached out to Twitter to help describe my online identity there, as I felt that if I were to do it, there would be inherent narcissism.

I find that in the 140 character length available my tweets can become sarcastic and to the point. I never intend my tweets to go that way, but given the brevity of the service  it becomes difficult to have an extended discussion on something. Twitter lends itself to being overly dismissive/shallow.



That last one best outlines what I try to be online. It’s not all fun and games, of course, I do try to be informative and thoughtful in my discourse. But generally, I am not on Twitter for the straight-laced, serious and uncompromising discussions. However, I find myself being drawn more and more into those discussions. I would say my Twitter identity has been successful. Indeed, being known as the ‘Twitter King’ is a title worthy of some appreciation, even if it is simply an indication that maybe I need to use less social media.


I also keep a movie blog, which is where I have a more serious, but still informal, voice on the state of movies, which are good and which aren’t, and my imparting of film knowledge. Sadly, the job is unpaid, but I hope to pursue a career as a reviewer/commentator nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment